1. Always trust your gut - You know that little voice in the back of your head telling you that something doesn't seem right? Well, from my personal experience, it's almost always right. Even if whatever it is seems like a ridiculous thought, trust your intuition. That girl you have a weird feeling about and think your boyfriend may be secretly talking to? He probably is. It'll come out eventually. And when you realize your gut feeling was right all along, so many other things will start to make sense to you.
2. Words and Actions Are Two Very Different Things - You will meet many people in your life who say all of the right words at the exact right moments. And in that moment, those words can make you feel so, SO good. But the truth is, those words are meaningless if there are no actions to back them up.
3. If someone wants to be with you, they will - Stop making excuses in your head of why he hasn't called you or why he breaks your heart over and over. Ever seen the movie "He's Just Not That Into You" ? Yeah, that. If he wanted to be with you, he would make it very clear and do just that - be with you. No ifs, ands or buts.
4. Anyone who makes you feel insecure isn't worth it - If you ever have to second guess yourself or your worth around another person, whether it's a friend or a significant other, it's not worth it. You should be around people who lift you up and make you feel good about yourself, nothing less.
5. People are going to put you down no matter what - You could be the pope or the president, doesn't matter - people will always have something negative to say. Just keep doing you. Don't allow the negative opinions of other people deter you from doing something you enjoy.
6. Meet new people - Recently I have been meeting so many new people and trying new things. It really opens your eyes to the world around you and makes your problems feel so small.
7. Love Yourself - Yasss girl. You only get one life and whether you like it or not, you're stuck with yourself. Everyone is amazing in their own beautiful, weird ways. Don't be so hard on yourself! Focus on all of the things you like about yourself and LOVE YOURSELF.
9. Stop making excuses for others - This kind of goes a long with #3. Stop making excuses for your shitty boyfriend or your flaky "best" friend. There are no excuses for being an overall bad person. It's not because work is stressing him out or because she was drunk. They just suck - plain and simple.
10. Embrace your weirdness - Don't hold back. If you want to say something silly, don't bite your tongue because you're afraid of sounding stupid. If you want to sing in the car at the top of your lungs to that annoying Justin Bieber song or dance in the middle of the makeup aisle at Target for absolutely no reason at all, do it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, let your freak flag fly.
11. Quality vs Quantity - This is true for so many things - specifically friends. Over the years I have learned to weed out anyone in my life who doesn't add positivity. It hasn't been easy, but I'd much rather have a few good friends who better my life than 20 "friends" who emotionally drain me.
12. Don't settle - Life is SO short. If you have the slightest feeling that the person you're with, or the job you have, or the apartment you live in, or whatever it is - isn't good enough for you, don't ignore that. If you think you can do better, then DO better. You deserve it. Don't settle due to fear of the unknown.
13. Positive mind, positive life - Recently I've been reading a lot about the "Laws of Attraction". This is the basic idea that if you focus on positive thoughts, you will bring positive experiences into your life. And if you focus on the negative, you'll attract negative experiences. Lately I've been keeping such a positive mind and outlook on things and I can honestly say it works!
14. It's OK to not be OK - Things aren't always going to go your way. It's OK to cry. It's OK to take a moment to yourself and feel sad or just momentarily crumble. You don't need to put on a front and try to convince others and yourself that you're fine. You're allowed to have your weak moments. As long as it doesn't last too long and then you flip your hair, apply your lipstick and move on.
15. You're not alone - Whatever it is you're going through, there are so many people that are currently going through or have gone through the same exact thing. Talk to people about how you feel - you'll learn that so many others have experienced the same situation and feelings. Simply knowing you're not alone makes you feel so much better.
16. Everything Happens for a Reason - Hence the premise of this blog. I truly believe that everything in our lives, no matter how awful and devastating at the time, happens for some type of reason. Whether it's to teach us a lesson or lead us to something better. There's a reason behind it all. You may not see it now, but in time you'll look back on whatever it is and think, "Oh yeah, that had to happen to me because if it hadn't then blah blah blah blah", you get it.
There you have it. 16 things I learned in 2016. This year wasn't the easiest for me but I'm going to chalk it up as one of the best years of my life. I learned SO much about myself and about other people and I truly think it made me into a much better person. Onward and upward to 2017!